Late 19th-century Neapolitan verdigris bronze faun stamped Chiurazzi. The faun is after the classic antique circa 100 BC bronze dancing faun – originally discovered in Pompeii on 26th October 1830 when the 2nd century BC “The House of the Faun” (named after the bronze) was excavated. The original is now in the National Museum Naples
Neapolitan foundries produced copper alloy reproductions of items excavated at Pompeii and Herculaneum. The main manufacturers in the period 1860 to 1920 were Sabatino de Angelis, J Chiurazzi and G Sommer. All three issued catalogues.
The reproductions were available in different sizes and different finishes including marble and silver.
Width of base 25.5cm
Depth of base 29cm
Width max 35cm
Depth max 29cm
Out of stock